Search This Blog

Friday, January 29, 2010

Baked Potato Soup

3/52

Well, I started a post this week about women and our self image. But I had so much to say and it needs too much revision to post it now. It will be my work in progress. So, the recipe I developed for Monday night's dinner will have to do for this week.

Disclaimer: I am a very spontaneous cook. I read cook books for fun, but I only follow recipes if A) I have all of the ingredients B) everyone in my family likes all the ingredients C) If I have time and D) If I feel like it (you can guess how often that happens). I guesstimate measurements and season to taste regularly. So, if you are brave enough to try any recipes I post here, just remember that they are totally flexible and the measurements I list are only estimates. Just make it your own...dawg.


Baked Potato Soup

1 lb bacon
1/2 cup onion, chopped
5 Large bakers potatoes
2 cans chicken broth
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
1 package frozen corn (optional)
milk
sour cream
chives

Cut bacon crosswise into 1/2 wide pieces. In a large pot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, remove bacon. Drain all but 2 Tbsp. grease. Add onion to pan and saute till very soft, 5-10 min., scraping up the brown bits. Wash and scrub the potatoes, set one aside. Peel and thinly slice (I use a mandolin) 4 potatoes. Add sliced potatoes, broth and 2 broth cans of water to the pot. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes until potatoes break apart easily with a fork. Meanwhile, dice remaining potato into 1/2 inch cubes, leaving skin on. When potatoes are done simmering, transfer soup to a blender or food processor in batches and blend until smooth or use an immersion blender to puree the potatoes and onion in the pot (My favorite, fewer dishes). Return the soup to a simmer, add cheese and corn. Stir until cheese is melted, add cubed potato. Simmer another 15 minutes, until potato cubes are easily pierced with a fork. Add milk to thin to desired consistency. Serve with bacon, shredded cheese, sour cream and chives as garnishes.

This soup is great on a cold, winter day! Enjoy!
If you have any suggestions for this recipe, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment